Okay, the site is no longer ugly. It's just boring. Progress is progress people. Try to be more like me and focus on the positive.

Apr 14, 2006

organic is in fact a good idea

So for my pursuasive speech/paper, I have chosen to try to pursuade my audience to buy organic produce. (I'm not asking them to go whole hog on the organic thing. This is a baby step in the right direction.) I chose this topic because I didn't really know anything about the subject. I figured it would be interesting enough research, and if I could convince myself, maybe I'll be able to convice others.

I have to say that my research really has opened my eyes. I think I'm going to try to by more organic type stuff. Now due to the fact that money is in question, I won't be able to blindly shop at more expesive stores and such. Hopefully though I can try to start a little better. Over the last year, I've been embracing the idea of buying stuff with few chemicals whenever possible anyway. Let me give you an example: I like to buy pancake mix. You can get one that says "just add water," but it has a laundry list of ingredients you can't pronounce. OR for less money you can buy the box that has you add milk and an egg. It's has a much, much shorter list of those chemical words you can't pronounce. Who doesn't have one egg floating around the kitchen anyway.

In a pure coincidence, I also visited an area natural foods store. Some work friends asked if I'd like to make a smoothie run, and of course I said yes. Who can resist a good smoothie on a warm day? Not me. Well my friend took me to a nearby natural foods store, where I purchased an all organic smoothie. The store was very nice and had a "friendly" feeling. I'm thinking I'll check out the store this weekend for my grocery run. I'm sure it will be too expensive to get everything there, but I thought I'd make a small trip to check it out.

1 comment:

Paul-cant-dance said...

oh! oh! I have a good one for this!

I heard this on the news, they said this particular pig farmer sold 'organic certified' pigs for slaughter...

the guy was really old and a friend of his was really old and when his friend died of natural causes he fed him to his pigs - so he could keep getting the dead guy's monthly payments.

And VJ wonders why I don't like to eat ham.

I decided to do a search on the internet (cause everything you find on the internet is true), and the site I found with it mentioned is
www.weirdstuff.us/weirdstuff/weird-stuff/general/pigs-fed-corpse/

but it didn't say anything about the organic stuff.

Cool, huh!

I've got a question tho, who makes sure these people who grow the organic stuff aren't lying just to make a bigger profit?