Okay, the site is no longer ugly. It's just boring. Progress is progress people. Try to be more like me and focus on the positive.

Apr 13, 2006

a lot on my plate

I am really looking forward to summer, but there is just so much I have to do in the mean time! First of all classes and homework are really cutting into my "me" time. Plus I have to make some appointments to meet with people. I need to get my major and class schedule finalized. Since I am creating my own degree, I need to decide what classes I want to take, which department I want to be associated with, plus I need 4 people to agree with my course of action. I've spoken with two advisors already.

My first decision is this. Do I want a B.F.A. or a B.A. Bachelor of Fine Arts or Bachelor of Arts. Sounds like the same thing, but it's not my friends. The B.F.A. will take 2 years and has to be mostly studio classes - all of my general stuff would be done though. Studios are a lot of work but more fun. Now the B.A. would be 1.5 years of classes. I could take almost anything I want, BUT I'd need 4 quarters of a language! It's been 10 years since I took a language. So here's the question: IS IT WORTH THE LANGUAGE TO BE DONE A QUARTER OR TWO EARLY? Let's all remember too that college language is a lot more advanced than my little high school experience. C's do get degrees though.... I don't know what to do....

PLUS, I've started my summer job search. I figure all the good jobs are taken early so I didn't want to wait. I will still be working 20 hours a week at my current job, but I want to pick up another 20 hours a week somewhere else. I've updated my resume, and I have a really solid lead on a part-time job/internship with McGraw Hill publishing. There's a career fair Next Wednesday that I'm hoping to get some more leads on, too.

4 comments:

neonapple said...

Wow McGraw Hill sounds great. They donated a case of recycled paper to my non-profit office last year.

As for the degree - I think you will be much happier with the experience of a B.F.A. even it if it a tiny bit longer. After all you want to be working on honing your artistic skills not your language skills. I don't see why you would need more language anyways for a B.A. degree! I didn't need more for mine. Unless you eventually want to be a graphic designer in Canada or Paris then by all means take more language.

VJ said...

You may want to ask your advisors about the degrees. When in doubt ask professionals. I don't know how much it will matter to future employers in your work area but a B.A. degree is considered a "stronger" degree because you have to take additional courses besides your major, like the dreaded language. I had the option as an undergrade between a B.A and something else, not a B.F.A.
It kind of shows people that you are capable of learning things outside of your area and are comfortable doing so and willing to put in a little extra effort.
You want to talk about something being bad, to do most ph.d's you have to have a second language fluency! I don't think I will in library science or education, but I might!

logoANN said...

The thing is I did just see two experts. I met advisors from each department... now the decisions looms over me...

Paul-cant-dance said...

do what I do... although I haven't had a lucky 8 ball in quite some time...

No, no, no, there was a TV show made before the advent of color TV or the internet, Gomer Pyle, where he had to take a test. On questions he didn't know, he would slap his first two fingers (towards the thumb) on the table, and whichever one hurt more would be the answer. A/B kind of thing, first finger equals "A", middle finger equals "B".

In the Navy, on all test questions (advancement requires passing tests on knowledge in your job field) there are four answers listed, of which one is more correct than the other three. If you weren't sure of the answer, you would use the clock method. Dividing a wall clock (non-digital) into quarters, when you look up after agonizing over the question, whichever quarter the second hand is in is the answer. A equals 0 to 15, B equals 15 to 30, and so on. Although never proven scientifically, it is firmly believed by most sailors that have used the method and passed the tests that it works. Those who don't pass never admit to using it.

The wisdom of age has spoken. : )