Okay, the site is no longer ugly. It's just boring. Progress is progress people. Try to be more like me and focus on the positive.

Jan 11, 2006

throw like a girl

Well it’s official. Throwing pottery is not a hidden skill I’ve been just waiting to discover I’m great at. I keep looking for the one thing that’ll turn out to be the thing I am awesome at. I know it’s not concert piano or any of the maths. But I figure greatness is lurking around the corner if I’ll keep trying new things. Now let me be clear hear people. I’m not looking for something I’m good at. I am looking for greatness. I am talking genius level. Idiot savant ‘great’ without the idiot part. With my luck my greatness is probably in sword swallowing or pain management while under torture conditions. When I play solitaire I like to pretend that’s the thing I’m awesome at. If there were a world championship solitaire tournament, I’d be one of the top competitors. I can keep up this daydream while I play until I realize I’ve missed several cards I could have uncovered. But I don’t lose hope. That thing, that mystical thing I’m truly great at, is out there. I need to keep looking.

Anyway. Back to pottery. This is going to be a struggle. Demi made it look so easy in Ghost. I mean if Demi can do it for the movies, why can’t I do it for real? Now I’ve only done it twice now. Well I’ve tried to throw something that resembles a cylander many times but only in two 2 hour sessions. To be even more accurate I’ve had 14 lumps of clay I’ve managed to turn into mud. Maybe tomorrow is my day. I’ll walk into class tomorrow and I will have turned a corner. Suddenly my hands will have figured out what my brain can’t seem to… yeah, right.

I’ll tell you one thing I’ve learned for sure, pottery making is an act of sheer physical will. My body feels like I worked out instead of just sitting for hours in a hunched over postion. It’s like your tense for 2 hours. Man did my bad leg hurt bad after trying to throw. Your arms put a lot of pressure on your legs while you try to control the clay. I try not to harp on my bad leg too much, but this freakin’ hurts. Don’t anyone tell my mom. She’ll worry. Well, you can tell her, but don’t play it up.

4 comments:

Paul-cant-dance said...

Now wait a minute, did you ever see the finished product? No, because it was mutilated by torrid sex and stuff. What's the subconscious message from that scene? Geez, I don't know, but it has very little to do with pottery or special skills or finding your niche in life, I'm pretty sure of that.

logoANN said...

Well there certianly isn't any "torrid sex and stuff" going in my pottery class either. I just can't win!

Zegi said...

I always expected the mashed up clay to start flinging around the room and onto them while they made out passionately. That would have been funny. Maybe I saw it in a spoof.

VJ said...

What do you mean there is no torried sex going on? You are in college, there should be torried sex around every corner, try looking in the library for some.
You are great at one thing, being a friend. Sure it is not financially profitable but it makes you an unique individul.