Okay, the site is no longer ugly. It's just boring. Progress is progress people. Try to be more like me and focus on the positive.

Jan 20, 2006

interviews

Well I had two interviews today. My feet are killing me from the high heeled boots I wore so that I’d look tall, thin and professional. Why, oh why, do women think footwear can create miracles?

So the first interview was for the school of design. They interview 20 people for 18 positions in the school with 2 alternate positions. So I probably got in. I, at least, have a probability of 90% that I will be accepted in at least a sophomore level. I want to try to get a junior level spot, but they told me to meet with someone later if I was accepted in the first place. I had a fifteen minute sit-down with three professors. For the sake of this blog I will refer to them as Good Cop, Bad Cop and the Quiet One. Good Cop I’d met before and is actually the professor I spoke with about trying for a junior position. Bad Cop earned his name in the interview before mine. So I’m sitting outside the conference room were the interrogations, er I mean interviews are being held. The kid before me was getting nailed by Bad Cop. He kept hammering him, and you could tell the kid was getting quite flustered. Bad Cop kept asking him questions like, “If you’re as good as you claim to be on your application, why do you need us?” “What do you feel will be your contribution to the design community?” Bad Cop seemed to have the goal of just shaking this kid up, and it made me nervous. Then it was my turn. It didn’t turn out that badly. I saw a lot of head nodding from Good Cop and the Quiet One. Bad Cop played his cards closer to the vest and tried to come up with questions to stump me. Ironically, I wasn’t stumped until the Quiet One asked me a question at the end. He asked my how I would approach a class that I felt I already knew a lot about. “Would I be open to learning?” sort of question. I was flustered mostly because at that point I thought the thing was over. Bad Cop had left the room, and I was ready to make my exit. I pulled it together though and answered the questions enough that I got a head nod from both Good Cop and the Quiet One. Keep all your fingers crossed for me though.

The second interview was for a part-time job as a Graphic Design assistant at the supercomputer center on campus. I think it went well, but they have a few other interviews next week. I feel rather disloyal to my current job. I mean, I hate my job, but I hate being disloyal.

1 comment:

Zegi said...

Congrats! Glad to hear it went well. I hope you don't have to have any confrontations with Bad Cop.