Okay, the site is no longer ugly. It's just boring. Progress is progress people. Try to be more like me and focus on the positive.

Apr 10, 2006

take a trip

I know it is safe to write this because my mom doesn't turn on her computer much any more. The odds are clearly in my favor that she'll never see this... Even if she did I practically said all this to her over the phone anyways...

She just frustrates me sometimes. I know I can be flaky, and I know exactly which parent gave me that quality. (I define flaky, as a adjective describing a person who has positive intentions with zero follow through, yet the zero follow through doesn't actually bug you that much because they are soo positive about it. Does that make sense?) She told me she was coming the weekend after my first week of classes to visit me. She never shows, and I get no phone call. Then this weekend she calls and asks if I'm coming to Easter. Well, I have a paper due the day after Easter so I know I will want the day to start/finish/whatever it. She sounds all disappointed like I let her down and tries to guilt me a little about it. Then she gets all excited and says she'll bring Easter to my house! (In type it's a little hard to express how excited this thought made her. Her voice went up in an epiphany type way....) I know she thought this would make it easy for me, but having an apartment full of guests for the day does not actually free up my day to write. In fact it would mean I'd be spending Saturday cleaning instead of writing too. So then her voice sounded all sad. Her disappoint was clear. I felt like I let her down or something. Mom's are great at guilt trips, man.

6 comments:

VJ said...

What do you mean your paper isn't done? You are waiting to the last minute again, aren't you? At least you have your sources, so you won't be bugging the librarian at 10pm the night before, or is the library closed on Easter and that is why you already have your resources. Well you know if you have any questions you can always call your private librarian! We are eating around 3 so anytime after 6 I'll be available for consultation. Only charge double time on a holiday!

logoANN said...

They had us find sources as a seperate assignment so we would be unable to drag our heels. I "intend" to start working on it tomorrow night. Blech.

Zegi said...

Didn't you know that guilt lessons are part of the post-partum experience? The nurse has a check list:
change diaper
burp
dress
guilt
You're not ready for discharge until you've mastered the list.

neonapple said...

If nore her and lock your door if you need to - don't let her guilt you into anything. When she told me about her master-plan of bringing Easter to you she didn't mention you had a paper due. Tell her to come and "have Easter" next weekend. I guarantee she will forget about it if you postpone it - she is flaky like that sometimes. If you want me to I will drag in the big sister guns and tell her she needs to let you have your alone time to do your paper.

After years of ignoring us why is she suddenly wanting to be all mother-like? I guess she goes through phases.

Paul-cant-dance said...

oh my god! that is exactly how all conservative talk show hosts describe the democratic party! almost verbatim! "... it's not the action or result that counts, it's how good the intention is in the beginning and how good the thought makes you feel..."

(in reference to your stated definition of flaky: I define flaky, as a adjective describing a person who has positive intentions with zero follow through, yet the zero follow through doesn't actually bug you that much because they are soo positive about it. )

Paul-cant-dance said...

or should I have left politics out of it? My bad! sorry!